Tuesday, October 6, 2009

An Open letter to Congressman Michael McMahon

I would like to begin by thanking you for having the courage to hold the town hall meeting. I’m relatively sure it met your expectations. The purpose of this letter is to let you know where I stand, unlike many of those that attended last night’s town hall, I voted for you. I voted for you as my Congressman, and I voted for you as my councilman. I will be voting for you again in 200, and my vote is NOT conditional, short of a major moral disaster.

I am a Staten Islander. I have lived on the North Shore my entire life. I have personally been on EVERY side of this issue. As the son of a single parent, my mother went on welfare for a short period. When she got work, and joined the union, our health care got better too. When she changed jobs, and went to work with a less powerful union, we were practically no better off than when she was on welfare. I joined the service, and enjoyed the best health care our country has to offer (probably even better than the care you now receive). When I returned from the service, I went without any insurance for a considerable amount of time. Luckily, I was still healthy, and short of a simple bloody nose that wouldn’t stop, I didn’t need emergency health care. I ran my own business for 5 years with 6 employees…providing zero benefits. I worked as a consultant, where there were no benefits, even as I started a family. I now work for a company where I started out in the union, so I have seen that side, with the constant bargaining that ALWAYS results in increased costs, and fewer benefits. I am now a part of management, so I see the other side of the fence. I say all of this to let you know that I am familiar with EVERY SIDE of the issue you now face. I have kept up with most of the issues regarding the proposed health care legislation, and I have come to a conclusion.

I support health care reform. I support reform that includes a public option (knowing that I will help foot that bill). I support future reasonable tort reform. I support a plan that is deficit neutral. I support a plan that does NOT adversely affect the current care our seniors are receiving. I support a plan that may be PURCHASED by illegal aliens, similar to the way it is now. I support a plan that mandates coverage (however, with fines & without the threat of prison). I support a plan that covers every American. I support a plan that removes stipulations regarding pre-existing conditions.

And I hope you do too.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, I look forward to your affirmative vote for Health Care reform.

1 comment:

Michael Cohen said...

McMahon didn't say much when he was asked if he supports a public option. Well, I tried to follow up when I caught him coming out the back door. Check my blog post:
http://blogs.journalism.cuny.edu/interactive2010/2009/10/06/congressman-mcmahon-on-the-public-option/