Monday, January 19, 2009

Tony Baker launches initiative to help fund the Staten Island Zoo

As a teacher and dean, I have witnessed you accomplish many things for our community. So this week, when I read with dismay that one of our great institutions, the Staten Island Zoo, was going to be experiencing severe budget cuts, I immediately thought of you. I am issuing a challenge to all our students, along with your schools, to adopt an exhibit at the Staten Island Zoo through a program I call “SI ZOO is MY ZOO.”

Staten Island has 119 schools in total (including public, private, parochial and institutions of higher learning), while the Staten Island Zoo has 150 exhibits. In order to make up the difference, I suggest our larger high schools and colleges/universities adopt an exhibit per class to make up the difference. Each exhibit adoption will be based on school population, with smaller schools adopting smaller and/or less expensive exhibits and larger schools adopting larger exhibits and/or more expensive exhibits.

I urge you to do what you do best and be creative in how you will raise the funds to assist your adopted exhibit. In order to begin the process, I have created a Facebook networking page: “SI ZOO is MY ZOO.” Our older students and student governments are invited to join, while our younger students should ask your parents, PTAs and school administrators to join.

I will work with you and the Staten Island Zoo to coordinate this project. Together we can make a difference.

Tony Baker Sr.
Port Richmond

To join the effort or submit fundraising ideas go to http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45436042903

No comments: